Sometimes a bad photo can spoil the impression of a picture, and even make it look like a picture that will not be seen by so many people thanks to the policy of instagram.
I will write a few rules that I follow when I take pictures of my work
- Always photograph in natural daylight. In my old apartment, I knew that I could take perfect pictures on the balcony in the evening. I'm still looking for the perfect place and time on the new one.
- White should be white. I've never posted my picture without adjusting white color in the settings of the instagram. Sometimes it causes saturation and contrast to get dim, so I correct them as well.
- Vary the background, but don't get carried away, because the work must remain the focal point. It helps me to look at the work in the drafts of instagram, it is stored there in a small icon. This is exactly how it will look when it pops up in hashtags. And if it rises the interest or not depends on how successful your post will.
- Be inspired by others, analyze how other artists do it, collect ideas. Sometimes a simple story, presented beautifully, can be a huge success.
Of course, you can get fancy and take pictures on a professional camera, but I think a phone is quite enough. Especially now that they have such cameras. I took this photo on my iPhone in portrait mode, and the second one at night in the light of the lamp and without any settings.
- Like in a drawing, composition of a photograph plays a major role.
If you want learn more about composition read this article. Although it is related to drawing, all these principles can be applied to photography.
I hope it was useful